Let’s take a look at the situation for each Valley League team with one day left….
1. Strasburg Express, 29-12, 1 game left: Purcellville… Clinched Northern division. Tied with Waynesboro for the best record in the league.
2. Winchester Royals, 22-19, 1 game left: @Woodstock… one win OR one Front Royal loss will clinch 2nd place for the Royals.
3. Front Royal Cardinals, 21-20, 1 game left: @New Market… Clinched at least 3rd place. As seen in Winchester’s line, if the Cards win and the Royals lose, they will be tied at 22-20. They are tied 3-3 in head to head games, of course. Against Strasburg, which should be the next tie-breaker, Front Royal is 2-3, and Winchester is 0-5. So IF the Cards win and the Royals lose, Front Royal would be 2nd and Winchester 3rd.
4. Purcellville Cannons, 19-22, 1 game left: @Strasburg… Cannons clinched the last playoff spot in the North.
5. New Market Rebels, 17-24, 1 game left: Front Royal… Rebels are eliminated from playoff contention.
6. Woodstock River Bandits, 11-30, 1 game left: Winchester… Bandits have been eliminated from the playoff chase. The Bandits’ .268 winning percentage is the worst since Rockbridge went 9-33 in 2009 (.214).
1. Waynesboro Generals, 29-12, 1 game left: Staunton… The Generals have clinched the South Division title (for the first time since 2012), and are tied with Strasburg for the best record in the league.
2. Harrisonburg Turks, 27-15, 0 games left… See Generals writeup. Turks have clinched 2nd place in the division.
3. Covington Lumberjacks, 22-19, 1 game left: Charlottesville… It doesn’t matter what the Jacks do- they are in 3rd place, and will travel to Harrisonburg for game one of the playoffs soon.
4. Staunton Braves, 15-26, 1 game left: @Waynesboro… one full game ahead of Charlottesville for the final playoff spot. A Brave win OR a Tom Sox loss tonight clinches the playoffs. (If the two teams tie, going into head-to-head, the Braves win, 4-2. So I suppose the Braves are in one way or the other.)
5. Charlottesville Tom Sox, 14-27, 1 game left: @Covington. The only way the Sox catch the Braves is if Staunton loses in Waynesboro and the Tom Sox win in Covington. Any other outcome means the Tom Sox will be eliminated.