Only five transactions to report from the slow time over the holidays:
1. The Boston Red Sox have signed Blake Tekotte (Woodstock 2006) as a free agent. Blake has played in 50 games in the major leagues, most recently in 2013 with the Chicago White Sox. Originally, he was 3rd round draft pick in 2008 by the San Diego Padres.
2. The Los Angeles Dodgers have signed Pat Christensen (Harrisonburg 2011), who was recently released by the Houston Astros. Pat was drafted in the 27th round in 2013 by the Astros, but was released after the 2014 season. In his minor league career, he’s struck out 84 batters in 81 2/3 innings, so I’m not surprised that he’s getting a second chance.
3. The Tampa Bay Rays have signed Joey Butler (New Market 2006) as a free agent. Joey was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 27th round in 2008. He reached Arlington in 2013, playing in 8 games for the Rangers. He was then signed by the Cardinals, and got 5 at-bats in St. Louis in 2014. After those 5 at-bats, Joey was released so he could sign with Orix in the Japanese League, where he hit 231/379/385 in 66 plate appearances. Now he’s back, and will attempt to make the Rays’ major league team out of spring training.
4. The New York Yankees have signed Eddy Rodriguez (Luray 2006-07) as a free agent. Eddy got a surprise call up with the Padres in 2012, and ripped a home run in his very first major league at-bat. Eddy will most likely play in the minors in 2015.
5. The San Diego Padres have released Josh Richardson (Covington 2009). Josh, who played for Liberty in college, was a 26th round draft pick in 2013. In 53 total games in the minors, Josh went 2-3, 4.74, with a 1.569 WHIP, 3.4 BB/9, and 7.7 K/9.